California car accident victims can receive an insurance settlement check within a few weeks after a crash. But a more complex case that involves injuries or a dispute over fault can take many months to settle.
California law sets several deadlines for auto insurers to abide by, but insurance adjusters don’t always follow these guidelines.
Earning a Quick and Fair Settlement After a Fullerton Car Accident
Victims in a Fullerton traffic accident can file a claim with an at-fault driver’s car insurance provider as soon as possible. But that doesn’t mean car insurance companies will work quickly to get the victim and the victim’s family the financial support they need.
Trusting your case to a Fullerton Car Accident Lawyer is one way to hold a car insurance company accountable. A lawyer at Fullerton’s GK Legal would keep the pressure up on an insurance provider and call them out when they needlessly delay providing compensation to victims in need. Contact us to set up a free consultation with a real Fullerton lawyer. There’s no obligation. It’s a no-risk way to find out if a lawyer can help you earn more for your accident claim.
How Long Do I Have to Wait for a Fullerton Car Accident Settlement?
Giving an exact wait time for how long your car accident settlement process will take is, unfortunately, impossible. Every case is very different, and lawyers will struggle to offer any sort of estimate until they’ve fully investigated your case.
The more complex factors in your case, the longer reaching an agreement on a fair settlement amount will probably take.
There are several things that can delay the wait you’ll ensure to get a settlement check in your hand:
- When blame is disputed. You may be unfairly blamed for someone else’s mistake and it can take time to prove who was actually at fault.
- When victims are still in recovery from serious injuries. Victims may have to wait until their wounds are fully healed to get a real total on their medical bills and the paychecks they lose while missing work hours. Only then can an accurate settlement figure be reached.
- When the effect of a long-term injury or a permanent physical disability must be accurately estimated so a settlement will fully cover a victim’s every need in the future.
- The car insurance company involved. Some smaller car insurance companies and bargain insurance providers don’t have the staffing to provide proper customer service. They could make victims wait six months or more as they work through a backlog of claims.
- The skill of your California car accident lawyer. A lawyer who has experience with many different car insurance companies can easily identify when an insurance company is dragging its feet and purposely delaying settlement resolution. Your lawyer would be fighting for fair and speedy resolution for your benefit. Insurance companies would be more inclined to take action on your case if you have a legal representative because that means the threat of a lawsuit is very real.
California Insurance Laws that Guarantee Fast Accident Claims Processing
It’s not common knowledge, but California does hold car insurance companies to certain standards. Insurers have around three months to handle a claim and pay a settlement check. This deadline starts the moment a claim is filed.
These requirements aren’t brought up by auto insurance companies, but they are enforceable.
The California Department of Insurance provides several deadlines that insurance providers should meet, all totaling up to around 85 days:
- Car insurance companies must acknowledge claim, start investigation, provide forms and instructions, and provide reasonable assistance immediately but in no event later than 15 days after receiving notice of claim.
- Respond to communications received from you immediately but in no event later than 15 days.
- Accept or deny the claim immediately but in no event later than 40 days after receiving proof of claim.
- Once the claim has been accepted, the insurer must pay the claim immediately, but in no event later than 30 days from the date settlement was reached.
Certain factors can extend these deadlines, such as the complications that are mentioned above. But if you feel your case is being ignored and these deadlines are past, speak with a Fullerton Car Accident Lawyer.
A Lawyer can write an official letter to inform an insurance company that they are violating state law and also report the company. These steps force a car insurance company to take action on your case and provide you with the support you need to pay your medical bills and rebuild your life.
Contact a Fullerton Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you live in or around Fullerton, and you were injured in a car accident that wasn’t your fault, contact us for a free consultation and case evaluation. Sometimes the interactions with unhelpful car insurance companies are nearly as unpleasant as the accidents themselves.
Don’t accept a lack of attention or an intentional delay in support from a car insurance company. Find out about your rights from a real Fullerton Car Accident Lawyer in a no-obligation answer session.
If you decide we can help you earn the most possible for your injury claim and sooner, you won’t need to have any money on hand. We don’t accept payment unless we win your case for you. Then our fee comes out of the settlement money you are awarded.