Motorcycles offer a unique experience for riders in Fullerton. The freedom of the open road, coupled with the excitement of adventure can be enough to persuade any motorcycle rider to take off all throughout our city. Unfortunately, that freedom also comes with a serious risk. Motorcycle accidents occur far too often and can have devastating consequences for riders. Because they are built for speed and performance, they offer little to no protection in the event of an accident.
In the United States, there are over 8.5 million registered motorcycles and each year, thousands of riders are injured or killed in motorcycle accidents. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that motorcyclists are 28 times more likely to suffer fatal injuries in a crash than people in a normal passenger vehicle.
Contact GK Legal Group For a Free Consultation
There are a wide variety of causes and factors that contribute to motorcycle accidents, but the overarching theme that is present throughout them is serious consequences for riders. If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, it’s important to know that you have legal options to get the support you need in your recovery.
At GK Legal Group, our team of experienced Fullerton motorcycle accident lawyers can review your case and help you get on the right path to getting this much-needed compensation for your injuries. We are proud to offer free consultations to any Fullerton motorcycle accident victim. Contact us today to schedule yours.
What Causes Motorcycle Accidents in Fullerton?
No matter how experienced you are, a motorcycle accident can happen when you least expect it. In an instant, riding your motorcycle through Fullerton can end in an accident that leaves you permanently injured. Because they can happen anywhere, at any time, it’s helpful to understand the more common causes of motorcycle accidents. These causes include:
- Failing to check blind spots
- Changing lanes unsafely or lane splitting
- Driving too fast for the road conditions
- Failing to yield to the motorcyclist
- Driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs
- Distracted driving
- Running a stop sign or traffic light
Motorcycle accidents are unique in that other drivers won’t always cause or contribute to them. These are called “no-contact” motorcycle accidents, and they are almost as common as regular accidents. Just because another driver isn’t directly involved in these accidents doesn’t mean they don’t have their own causes and factors. Usually, the most common culprit of these accidents are poorly maintained roadways or negligence on the part of pedestrians or other drivers. Regardless of what causes your motorcycle accident, you will likely be facing down injuries and damages that can get overwhelming very quickly.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries In Fullerton
Probably the biggest drawback to using a motorcycle is the lack of protection. Even if the you were wearing proper motorcycle attire and a helmet, you can still expect to encounter most of, if not all of, the following injuries when you suffer a motorcycle accident in Fullerton:
- Road rash
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Muscle strains
- Injuries to the neck and back
- Traumatic Brain Injuries or concussions
When you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, it’s often only the beginning of your issues. On top of trying to recover from your initial injuries, you may find yourself beset by complications or looking at extensive rehabilitation and physical therapy. Then, there are the emotional and psychological effects of the accident. Post traumatic stress disorder and other conditoins are common after motorcycle accidents, and can last well after the initial accident.
How Do I Know If I Have a Viable Motorcycle Accident Case in Fullerton?
The first step to getting the money and benefits you need after a Fullerton motorcycle accident is establishing liability. The key to liability is negligence, or showing that the other driver took actions that caused the accident that led to your injuries. There are four elements of negligence in a Fullerton motorcycle accident:
- Duty of Care – The driver had a duty to keep you safe and avoid harming you by not driving in a way that caused the accident.
- Breach of Duty – The driver breached that duty by driving negligently.
- Causation – The breach of duty caused your motorcycle accident in question.
- Damages – Your motorcycle accident resulted in injuries and other losses.
With liability established, it answer the question of who is responsible for paying for your damages. In practice, this happens via an insurance claim. The at-fault driver is required to carry car insurance to cover such accidents. However, no two motorcycle accidents are alike, which means that every claim is different. Your claim will have its own set of circumstances and factors that will be examined when determining just how much it’s worth. Among these factors, the following are usually the markers for figuring out how much a claim is worth:
- Type and extent of injuries – The reality is, if you only suffered minor injuries, your claim won’t be worth as much. Insurance companies look at the type and extent of injuries you suffered in the accident when determining how much your claim is worth. This is why it’s important to keep up with treatment and records. Injuries can worsen over time, which can lead to a higher consideration from the insurance company.
- Liability – Just because you can show that the other driver was at-fault for your accident doesn’t mean the insurance company will simply accept it. They will launch their own investigation into the accident, and will likely try to get you to make a damaging statement by twisting your words or asking you confusing questions. It’s always a good idea to wait to consult with our team before speaking with an insurance adjsuter.
- Your percentage of fault – In California, there is a concept called “comparative negligence”, which reduces the amount of damages you receive based on your percentage of fault in the accident. Insurance companies are well aware of this, and will try anyway they can to put the blame back on you. It’s important to gather any evidence you have that not only shows the other person was mainly at-fault, but that you also did what you were supposed to do.
While determining value is an important step in the claims process, it’s ultimately up to the insurance company to provide a final number. Knowing the factors that go into their decision is important, but in order to make sure you’re getting the full amount of what you’re entitled to, consider speaking with our team of experienced motorcycle accident lawyers.
What Damages Are Available In a Fullerton Motorcycle Accident Claim?
Motorcycle accident injury claims in Fullerton are not unlike other accident injury claims that we typically see. These claims have available damages, or the compensation that you are entitled to receive from the party deemed responsible for the accident. California law is clear in that, as an accident victim, you can pursue a claim for these daamges.
In a Fullerton motorcycle accident injury claim, you can potentially recover the following:
- Medical treatment costs
- Physical therapy costs
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment
In some cases, punitive damages may also be awarded if the responsible party’s actions were particularly reckless or negligent. It is important to consult with an attorney familiar with motorcycle accident claims to determine what types of damages may be recoverable in your specific case.
Just having the legal option to pursue a claim is sometimes not enough. In order to make sure that you get the maximum available compensation, talk with our team of experienced lawyers. We can make sure that every available route to support is taken.
Get Help From Experienced Fullerton Attorneys
When you’ve been in a motorcycle accident in Fullerton, you are very likely looking at life-changing effects. While every motorcycle accident is unique, the outcomes usually involve physical injuries and psychological damage that can take years to overcome.
At GK Legal Group, we can explain your legal options and provide you with experienced, dedicated legal support that can make the difference between getting what you’re rightfully owed and being lowballed by the insurance company. Don’t let that happen. Contact our office today to schedule a free consultation.